Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Polygamy

When many people think of the Mormon church the first thing that comes to their mind is plural marriage or polygamy, which was part of the church from 1890 to 1904 but is no longer part of the church or practised by any of the member that belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  (See more about ending of Polygamy)
We do not try to hide the fact that we as a church practised polygamy, we know that it was commanded by God that the people at that time, for whatever reason, need to practised it. There is a lot of reasons that polygamy could have been need at that time. Whether it be economical or the fact that there was a lot of widows, but those are not the things that I hold to as the reason for it.  The reason that the church began to practise polygamy in my mind is the fact that the Lord commanded it. There is a scripture in the Book of Mormon the may help us to understand this point a little better it is in (Jacob chapter 2 27-30)  "27Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any aman among you have save it be bone cwife; and concubines he shall have none; 28For I, the Lord God, delight in the achastity of women. And bwhoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts. 29Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or acursed be the land for their sakes. 30For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up aseed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things." To me this scripture help to see that a man should one have one wife, unless the lord commands other different, so there was a time that we did it then the lord said that it was no longer needed.
The Mormon church was not the first time that gods people practised plural marriage there are time through out the bible that plural marriage was practised.  When it come to the concern of polygamy and whether or not it was right before God or commanded by God. There is only one question that we need to ask yourself and that is whether or not Joesph Smith was a prophet of God, because if he was then nothing else matters, because if he was a Prophet then it was inspired of God. It is left to us to turn to our Father in Heaven and pray to know if Joseph Smith was a prophet and if the church that he set up is truly the kingdom of God on the earth today. I know that he was called by God to be a prophet to lead us and guide us in these days to help us to become closer to our Savior Jesus Christ, and the way that I know this is through praying to my Heavenly Father and asking for guidance. which is the same thing that you can do to know the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment